Information Security aims to adopt and implement all the necessary tools and measures to protect users’ personal and confidential information. However, Privacy gives the right to individuals to handle their personal data by giving them control to decide who can view or use their valuable data assets.
Information security and data privacy are related but distinct concepts. Privacy standard aims to safeguard an individual’s right to privacy by regulating the data collection processes, use, and distribution of personal information. In contrast, information security focuses on safeguarding valuable data by protecting it from unauthorised access and destruction.
What is ISO/IEC 27701:2019 Certification?
The globally recognised ISO/IEC 27701:2019 Certification provides a robust and flexible framework for Privacy Information Management Systems (PIMS), also sometimes called Personal Information Management Systems. It is a significant tool for managing information privacy in an IT organisation or other industries. The certification outlines the structure for Personally Identifiable Information (PII) Controllers and (PII) Processors.
ISO 27701 standard is an extension to ISO/IEC 27001:2022 Certification for Information Security Management Systems (ISMS). ISO 27001 deals with the issues related to information security by implementing appropriate controls and measures, whereas ISO 27701 gives users control to manage their sensitive and confidential data by assuring privacy.
Scope of ISO 27701 for PIMS
The scope of ISO/IEC 27701:2019 for Privacy Information Management System (PIMS) includes as follows:
- ISO 27001 outlines additional guidelines and specifications for handling personally identifiable information (PII), such as data processing tasks and related procedures.
- Requirements for PIMS define identifying whether you are a “PII processor” or a “PII controller” (including belonging to a joint PII controller).
- Identification of applicable:
- Organisational context and privacy goals
- Contract requirements
- Industry requirements
- Organisations must appoint an independent individual(s) to ensure compliance and act as an expert(s) in privacy compliance.
- Organisations PIMS policy must contain:
- Designated privacy management team
- Well-trained staff
- Information mapping and processing documentation
- Specific privacy policies, procedures, and organisational functions
- Privacy technology
Benefits of ISO 27701:2019 Certification
ISO 27701 is a comprehensive standard for Privacy Information Management Systems (PIMS). Moreover, the certification offers a goldmine of benefits for organisations including:-
- ISO 27701 makes organisations more reliable and trustworthy by enhancing customers’ trust and confidence that their personal information is utilised for the specified purpose.
- PIMS stresses the value of managing personal data in a highly competitive culture.
- 27701 helps in proving and managing adherence to the GDPR and other rules, regulations, and standards concerning data protection.
- Privacy standard maintains the integrity and confidentiality of personally identifiable information (PII).
- The standard helps in identifying and eliminating PIMS security hazards.
- ISO 27701 offers a competitive advantage by building an organisation’s positive reputation and brand value.
Key differences between ISO 27001 and 27701 Certification
The security requirements of ISO 27001 include data protection principles and requirements in ISO/IEC 27701. Organisations must outline baselines for 27001 to develop 27701 policies, processes, and implementation technologies. Here are the key differences between Privacy Information Management System (PIMS) and Information Security Management System (ISMS) ; these are:
- The Information Security Management System (ISMS) ensures information security to safeguard vital resources and operations. The ISMS aims to establish a flexible system for oversight and create accountability for the organisation’s information security measures.
- ISO/IEC 27701 provides for a Privacy Information Management System (PIMS). Moreover, the PIMS is an addition to your ISMS, as it contains many of the essential components of the ISMS. Organisations must ensure that extending 27001 controls satisfies numerous requirements while drafting policies and procedures for data privacy.
ISO/IEC 27701:2019 provides a comprehensive framework for Privacy Information Management Systems (PIMS) while complementing ISO 27001. Understanding the distinction between Information Security and Data Privacy is crucial, as ISMS focuses on safeguarding information; PIMS, an extension of ISMS, empowers users to control their sensitive data. Moreover, both certifications adopt principles of integrity and confidentiality to fight against information security threats and create a positive brand reputation.
Enjoy Reading –