Big companies collect, store and process vast amounts of data. Cyber security and data protection are one of the primary concerns of customers and companies. Hackers are becoming smarter and technological advancement enhances their ability to access and compromise sensitive data. It becomes critical for organizations to secure sensitive data. ISO 27001 Certification, developed by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), focuses on information security management controls for organizations to ensure cyber security and data protection.
What is ISO 27001 Certification?
ISO 27001 Certification specifies the requirements for an Information Security Management System (ISMS). It is the only auditable international standard and provides a systematic approach to manage and protect an organization’s information security through effective risk management. ISO 27001 standard contains a list of 114 security controls, Annex A controls. ISO 27002 Certification provides extensive information on how to implement these 114 security controls. It enhances the reputation of an organization and makes it more reliable and credible.
ISO 27001 certification implementation aims to meet all the legal and other requirements, including General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and eliminate potential security threats, such as cybercrime, data breaches, theft and viral attacks. Three cornerstones of ISO 27001 Certification, commonly known as the C-I-A triad, are:
- Confidentiality: It aims to protect data against unauthorized access, including people, processes, or unauthorized applications.
- Integrity: It aims to verify the accuracy, reliability and completeness of data. It ensures that the data is free of errors and manipulation.
- Availability: It focuses on maintaining and monitoring the Information Security Management System (ISMS) and ensures business continuity. ISO has developed a separate standard to ensure business continuity which is ISO 22301 Certification.
The Benefits of ISO 27001 Certification
ISO 27001 certification compliance is not necessary for only IT Companies but any organization that collects and stores a vast amount of customer data. ISO 27001 standard offers tools and techniques for an organization to ensure information security and data protection. Any organization can apply for ISO 27001 certification as it offers the following benefits to organizations :-
- Follows a process-based approach – ISO 27001 Compliance demonstrates an organization’s ability and commitment to adopt a process-based approach. It provides a framework for organizations to implement, establish, monitor, operate, maintain and improves the information security management system.
- Cost-effective – The cost of ISO 27001 certification differs from organization to organization; however, the cost incurred on achieving an ISO 27001 standard is nothing in comparison to the profitability it offers to an organization. It promotes integrity and demonstrates an organization’s commitment to implement strategies and policies to ensure information security and data protection.
- Creates a better reputation of your organization – ISO 27001 Certification compliance creates a better reputation of an organization and enhances its reliability and credibility. It helps organizations avoid regulatory fines and penalties due to non-conformity and shows their compliance with all the national and international laws and regulations. It aligns with other standards, including ISO 27701 Certification, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) and Service Organization Control (SOC1).
- Provides flexibility – It helps organizations to grow, adapt and upgrade to the changing needs and requirements. An information Security Management System aims to create a flexible system and focuses on maintaining information security. An organization must conduct a risk assessment to identify potential security threats or shortcomings and implement appropriate security controls to address them.
ISO 27001 Certification is an internationally recognized standard that specifies the requirements for Information Security Management System (ISMS). It provides a resilient and robust framework for organizations to adapt and manage information security. An organization can apply for ISO 27001 Certification regardless of size, nature and location. It provides a model for establishing, implementing, operating, reviewing, maintaining and improving the information security management system (ISMS). Organizations hold customer data, and any failure to provide adequate protection can have grave operational, legal and financial consequences. ISO 27001 Certification offers a list of 114 security controls to ensure data protection and privacy.
You Might Also Like: